Two day meeting begins, March and concludes March 10, 2021
March has just arrived and in the coding world that means that the Coordination and Maintenance Committee meeting is around the corner. The Coordination & Maintenance Committee meeting will be held virtually on March 9 and March 10 from 9:00 a.m. EST until 5:00 p.m. There will be a lunch break from 12:30 p.m. to 1:15 p.m.
There are three options for joining the meeting.
- The first option is via Zoom. If you are planning to listen and comment, you must participate via Zoom. Here is the URL:
Enter Passcode: 798401
- The second option is via telephone. The telephone number is 669-254-5252 or 646-828-7666 or 833-568-8864 (Toll Free). Enter the webinar ID: 160 078 4651.
- The third option is via Zoom Webinar conference. From your room system, dial 22.214.171.124 (US West) or 126.96.36.199 (US East) then enter the webinar ID: 160 078 4651 and next enter passcode: 798401. SIP: email@example.com with passcode: 798401
The meeting will begin with the procedure topics and will be led by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) staff. Here is a list of some of the topics for new PCS codes:
- Application of Topical Agent for Non-Excisional Eschar Removal
- Application of Bio-Engineered Skin Construct
- Mechanical Thrombectomy using Intermittent Aspiration
- Transcatheter Replacement of Pulmonary Valve
- Combined Thoracic Aortic Arch Replacement and Descending Thoracic Aorta Restriction
- Pharyngeal Electrical Stimulation
- Total Artificial Heart Systems
- Endoscopic Suturing Device for Upper and Lower GI Procedures
There are a total of 34 topics on the tentative agenda for procedures, but one proposal has been withdrawn. Twenty-four proposals have requested New Technology Add-On Payment status. These six proposals will not be presented during the meeting:
- Administration of Trilaciclib
- Administration of ZEPZELCA™ (lurbinectedin)
- Administration of ENSPRYNG™ satralizumab-mwge
- Administration of Ciltacabtagene Autoleucel (cilta-cel)
- Administration of Amivantamab
- Transfusion of Pathogen Reduced Cryoprecipitated Fibrinogen Complex (PRCFC)
Comments on all the procedure proposals should be sent to ICDProcedureCodeRequest@cms.hhs.gov.
The diagnosis topics are expected to be presented on March 10, 2021 and will be led by the Center of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). There are a total of 25 topics on the CDC agenda. Here are some of the tentative topics:
- Von Willebrand Disease
- Apnea Related Conditions in the Newborn
- Refractory Angina Pectoris
- Lumbar Disc Degeneration with Pain
- Dementia: Stages of Severity, Behavioral and Psychological Symptoms
- Encounter for Pain Management
Comments on the diagnosis proposals can be sent to nchsicd10CM@cdc.gov.
The Coordination and Maintenance Committee meeting is an excellent opportunity to acquire free continuing education credits from American Association of Procedural Coders (AAPC) and the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA). An attendee may claim one continuing education credit for each hour of attendance.
The tentative agendas are not final. The final agenda and presentations as well as the links to the sessions will be posted on their respective websites. The final codes for FY22 should be published in June 2021.
Programming Note: Listen to Laurie Johnson’s report today on the upcoming coordination and Maintenance meeting on Talk Ten Tuesdays, 10 a.m. Eastern.